The groups that people are members of, and the social identities attached to these groups, can have profound consequences for people. I research how group memberships and social identities affect people in different socio-cultural contexts. I am currently focusing on the following
1. Social identities as psychological barriers in education: what are the socio-cultural conditions that gives rise to achievement gaps between social groups; how do identity processes contribute to these achievement gaps
2. The ‘social cure’ properties of group memberships: how do group memberships enhance well-being; why is it that they don't always
For my latest publications, please see my Sussex webpage: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/profiles/173988
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Becker, M., Vignoles, V. L., Owe, E., Brown, R., Smith, P. B., Easterbrook, M., … & Yamakoğlu, N. (2012). Culture and the distinctiveness motive: Constructing identity in individualistic and collectivistic contexts. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 102, 833-855. doi: 10.1037/a0026853
- Becker, M. Vignoles, V. L., Owe, E., Easterbrook, M., Brown, R., Smith, P. B., ...Koller, S. H. (2014). Cultural bases of self-evaluation: Seeing onself positively in different cultural contexts. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. doi: 10.1177/0146167214522836
- Easterbrook, M. J., Kuppens, T., & Manstead, A. S. R. (In Press). The education effect: Higher educational qualifications are robustly associated with personal and socio-political outcomes. Social Indicators Research. doi: 10.1007/s11205-015-0946-1
- Easterbrook, M. J., & Vignoles, V. L. (2014). When friendship formation goes down the toilet: Design features of shared accommodation influence the development of interpersonal bonds and well-being. British Journal of Social Psychology, 54, 125-139. doi: 10.111/bjso.12062 .
- Easterbrook, M. J., Wright, M., Dittmar, H. E., & Banerjee, R. A. (in press). Consumer culture ideals, extrinsic motivations, and well-being in children. European Journal of Social Psychology.
- Easterbrook, M., & Vignoles, V. L. (2013). What does it mean to belong? Interpersonal bonds and intragroup similarities as predictors of felt belonging in different types of groups. European Journal of Social Psychology, 43, 455-462.
- Easterbrook, M., & Vignoles, V. L. (2012). Different groups, different motives: Identity motives underlying changes in identification with novel groups. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 38, 1066-1080.
- Kuppens, T., Easterbrook, M. J., Spears, R.., & Manstead, A. S. R. (in press). Life at both ends of the ladder: Education-based identification and its association with well-being and social attitudes. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 41, 1260-1275. doi: 10.1177/0146167215594122
- Owe, E., Vignoles, V. L., Becker, M., Brown, R., Smith, P. B., Lee, S. W. S., Easterbrook, M., … & Jalal, B. (2012). Contextualism as an important facet of individualism-collectivism: Personhood beliefs across 37 national groups. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 44, 24-45.
- Easterbrook, M. (2011, August 5). Urbanization and the construction of a distinct identity. IACCP Youth Group Blog. Retrieved from http://www.iaccp.org/drupal/node/401.
- Easterbrook, M. J. (2014, May 14). Constructing self-esteem across cultures. Society for Social and Personality Psychology Blog. Retrieved from http://www.spspblog.org/constructing-self-esteem-across-cultures/
- Easterbrook, M. J., Manstead, A. S. R, & Kuppens, T. (2014, May 20). The education effect: How education is associated with personal and social benefits. UK Data Service Case Studies. Retrieved from http://ukdataservice.ac.uk/use-data/data-in-use/case-study/?id=151
- Easterbrook, M. J., Manstead, A. S. R, & Kuppens, T. (2014, July 1). The wellbeing effect of education. ESRC Evidence Briefing. Retrieved from http://www.esrc.ac.uk/_images/The%20wellbeing%20effect%20of%20education_tcm8-31129.pdf
- Beginners SPSS
- Final year empirical projects
- Intermediate SPSS
- Linear Models
- MSc research placement
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Postgraduate Research Design and Statistics
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Structural Equation Modelling
Matthew J. Easterbrook
School of Psychology
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH
- Phone: +44(0) 1273 876597